Tuesday 17 May 2016

Vocal Development from performances

Contemporary performance

In The Wardrobe which was our first production, I played my character of Susan with energy and enthusiasm.  About half way through the scene, my voice started to sound shaky and the pronunciation wasn't as clear as it was in the beginning.  My nerves got the better of me and I found it difficult since I missed time of college due to mild concussion.  I was still suffering and wasn't so prepared which contributed to my nerves.

Naturalism:

In my second performance of The Cherry Orchard, I still had problems with my shaky voice as my nerves were still there and this effected my articulation.  Charlotta was meant to be portrayed as a strong character but, through the emotion and various pitches in my voice I made her  sound weaker than she was.  This changed some of my characteristics vocally.

Chorus

In our adaptation of Greek Chorus, our setting we chose was in a school and we instantly felt that using chavy accents was perfect for our characters.   I felt that my voice had energy most of the time but, I found it hard to sustain the accent.  As a ensemble I felt like all the different pitches at the end of our performance,  when we say 'na na na na na' which created a menacing and intimidating atmosphere.  As a chorus, I felt like we gave a realistic performance based on the peer pressure in schools.

The Fart Yoga - Monologue:

For my monologue, I played Amy, the younger sister of Zelda.  I felt like it was effective when I spoke quietly at the beginning to make it sound like I have a dirty little secret which I only wanted to tell a close friend.  However, I would raise my voice to put a point forward in response to 'but could yo step outside for a moment.  Some of us are trying to practise yoga.'  I've had an issue with the speed where I start at a good pace then the momentum builds up and it's too fast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment