Sunday 18 October 2015

The Wardrobe Evaluation

From the first to my third and last performance of The Wardrobe play by Sam Holcroft, I still think that each performance has room for improvement.  I have many strengths and weakness that reflect on my performance.  

One of my weaknesses was my time management, this includes remembering the lines I had to say for the performance, well enough for the deadline on the Tuesday in September.  Through my first performance, I was so focused on the props and having energy for the performance that I basically forgot my lines, I blanked at times because I struggled to remember them.  Next time, I need to learn my lines by finding other ways to rehearse and learn them.  Also I need to meet my deadlines better instead of me getting stressed and worrying during the performance which is the reason that I blanked.  I need to practise more and this will help me make sure that I don’t panic during my lines at any point in the performance and that it goes more smoothly next time.

Another weakness is my aim for my performances. In them, I was meant to relive Narnia for the character Lucy, but I am not sure whether the audience got the feel of the character or whether I portrayed the fact that she was ill as I wasn't caring enough towards her in my first performance. I could have shown the fact that she was ill better than I did for example the action of a simple hug or rubbing her back whilst looking at her as I said “come on please.”

However, the second performance one audience member asked “Was I Lucy’s mother or sister?” They also said about how I captured the mother and sister character. This became a positive and strength for the aim and actor skill of characterisation. Through each gesture, action and word I could lead people to think my character is responsible, sensible and someone that Lucy looks up to as either a mother or as a sister.

Entering and exciting the wardrobe is also a strength of mine for scene 11. When I opened the door, I entered as a cheerful, happy girl but on the other hand I was slightly clumsy which I showed through my actions when putting the props down and throughout the scene.  This improved my performance from blanking a bit when I was speaking my lines and not showing the right level of care towards Lucy.

The support from the other character in the play helped me to slowly remember them again and get back on track. The play was able to carry on being performed, this shows my team playing skills and using support either from another character or props in the performance helped myself get back on track at the point I went blank.

I feel that despite my weaknesses, I carried out my part in the play well and my strengths meant I was able to keep focused than become confused and lost, I managed to carry on using the support I mentioned earlier and so my performance, which on one hand could have been better, was good and I can build on my strengths more. Also I need to work on my weaknesses by next time, as I mentioned, practising and rehearsing more and also by being more organised, this will mean that I can perform to the best of my abilities to carry out my part in the play as well as I can do.


No comments:

Post a Comment