Wednesday 23 March 2016

Vocal Developments - VOICE

First week of practising my vocal workout routine, I was focusing on making sure I had clear pronunciation and I found out my words also need to be more articulate when I speak.  Back when I performed at the start of the year in the wardrobe my voice was quiet shaky.  I felt like I hadn't fully relaxed my body because the reason I was shaking was probably because I had not warmed up properly as I felt cold and a little tense in some places. I've added massages and full body exercise to my vocal workout including body roll down where I roll down to my toes then back up again with my chin to chest. This is a way to relax each vertebrate and thoroughly relax my body.

Another exercise that I have been practising includes a tongue twister "Unique, New York".  Here, words are exaggerated when two fingers are placed in the mouth in the middle between front teeth, as this helps to improve the sound of articulation. Concentrating on the sounds of the words with two finger places in the mouth is a way for the tip of the tongue and lips to work more since the teeth is biting down on the fingers.  It helps to warm up my voice which is the vocal instrument of an actor.

Articulating slowly is easier to start of  with and you can listen to the sound of the words that help an actor than talking quickly because you lose the sound of the words.  For example, my character Charlotta in The Cherry Orchard at times spoke too fast and some of the words were lost from the character which made it difficult to understand her personality. To make sure every sound of the word is heard the target would be to use different tongue twisters to improve pronunciation and fluency.  For example, "What to do to die today" was an effective warm up which helped me in past performances to warm my voice up. Also tongue twisters can help me to enhance accents by using a repetition of a sound.  It benefits not just for actors but, for speakers today who want to be heard clearly.

I've been sticking with same thing for a while now, which is improving my pronunciation.  To relax myself I do facial massages and also practise yoga.  This make sure your body isn't tense.  It's so important for their to be not tension and also the times I have done yoga for my solo monologue piece it helps to relax me a little more each time for times when I felt stressed or upset, it builds up strength to continue.

1 comment:

  1. You make some good reflections regarding your voice in relation to tone and posture. You have not included a clear plan of exercises you will take? It is this plan you should be reflecting upon the effect of when you work with any text. You have mentioned some reflections since your practice, please bullet point your vocal plan so I know what you are practising. You make an odd statement regarding the teeth being together…please explain this.
    You should reflect on your voice in previous performances, The Wardrobe, The Cherry Orchard.

    ReplyDelete