Tuesday 12 April 2016

Earthquakes In London

Creative springboard

The way we decided to interpret the play in class was to draw an image and this was our interpretation that reflected towards the play.  Listening to other people's interpretations was really interesting to hear their thoughts.  Also how everyone's thoughts seemed so different to others.


I drew a picture of the world but, in the middle of the earth is a sand timer.  This was to indicate that we have so much time on earth and it is slowing running out for people.  There so many people in this world but, sometimes time can be quickly wasted when people don't make the effort to think about others than themselves.  It can also depend on the characters in the play, it also reflects that we are all living one life but, in this the sand timer represents Freya and the fact that it's not long until a decision is made.  A decision that could control others around her to make new decisions.


Idea 2 - A lot of pressure leads to an explosion

My second idea which wasn't drawn because I struggled thinking about something very creative. I thought of the idea that when people have done an experiment when they add mentos (sweets) to a fizzy drink or when you shake it up it can explode everywhere.  Relating this to the play, the amount of stress and sign that Freya gets about how she can't deal with bringing up a child of her own but, how she doesn't feel safe or happy any more.  The pressure is where we reach a big explosion where everything is too much.  The pressure takes not only the other characters a show but, the rest of the audience. The little things lead up to the biggest things.

Photos from images when I think of Earthquakes in London


Busy London Traffic                                                             Explaining why I chose these images

Busy London Traffic from Google Images 

The reason I chose an image of the busy London traffic is one of the obvious visual thoughts when you think of London.   I think of busy streets, a lot of noise and lots of people.
   The busy lives each character goes through reflects on London traffic as they are all trying to get to the target and back again.   Traffic relates to panic but, relates to panic from the sisters journey throughout the play.



Pollution
London Pollution from Google Images 
Another image I chose was an image of pollution as the earth is polluted by people, Robert describes.  He wants Freya to kill the baby so, it doesn't suffer in this world.   All the people are suffering with the way that Liberal Democrats decides about air expansion and is thinking about the economy but, not how the environment would be affected.








                                                    The War Of The Worlds

Tripods from The War Of The Worlds from Google Images 

The last image I chose was another idea of panic where Martians have invaded the earth. In the War Of The Worlds it's about 'a massacre of mankind.'  Both The War of The Worlds and Earthquakes in London they both have weird outcomes.  Also the Tripods ruined everyone's lives whilst in the play Sarah and Robert's cold ways are ruining the lives of the people in the economy.

The main character who is known as the journalist decides that he wants to commit suicide because of what has happened to everyone on Earth who has been killed by the Tripods.  Both him and Freya from Earthquakes in London think it's best to end their lives than stay in a place that feels like hell.

Result of audition roles

The roles that I got given where the Old Woman and Liberty. Two different roles and Karen says that I suited multi-roles than just having one role. This will be a challenge but, my targets for the roles for each character won't change. The target for Liberty is to develop a bubbly side to the character and express myself through enthusiasm. Whilst the target for the Old Woman is  that I should imagine the character as an animal so, it will help me portray the role physically.

I have also been given the role of a Mother but, the way Freya sees The Mothers are perfect however, they are certainly not as they have a creepy side to them.  The Mothers manipulate her and upset her because she's not like them. They feel like she is the one in the wrong.  My target is to reveal this character with a strange side showing the audience this not the reality of how a real mother should act.

Character Profile

Dialogue about Liberty  (talking about herself)

  • "This isn't just a shop"
  • "This is Liberty." 
  • "Not really.  I wanted to work here from when I was fourteen.  I love this place, the people, the lighting..." 
  • "Then when I was eighteen I applied for the job, I put Liberty on the form, as my name.  I thought it would grab their attention I was right."
  • "Nicola's shit, Liberty's better..." (Nicole is her birth name)
  • "Jasmine doesn't mean anything. Liberty's better. It means freedom."

Dialogue said by other characters about Liberty

  • "Do you have to wear all that make up?"
  • "You must be really depressed working in a shop like this, standing here all the time, you look really depressed." 
  • "It's probably not much is it?"
  • "Can't believe you're called Liberty. What was your old name?"
  • "Is that what you told her?"

Liberty's actions/behaviours:

  • Walks over to Jasmine after hearing her speak about her.
  • Persuades Colin why she should by a new outfit from the Liberty shop.
  • Seems shallow at first.
  • Flamboyant - the way she has dedicated to what she looks like than the uniform you need.
  • Trying to make an impression - a statement.

Notes to self - Character - Liberty

Absolutely Fabulous - Edina 
Edina Monsoon from Absolutely Fabulous would be a possible character that I can relate to Liberty.  She speaks posh and well spoken however, they both show a bubbly and creative side towards fashion. 

She is has an outrageous and expensive wardrobe. This links to Liberty's wardrobe chose where she wears clothing to match the colours of the signs and posters of the shop. They seem to be both out there characters and aren't afraid of the fashion sense. From their wardrobe they are very flamboyant and want to make success, persuading people to buy new fashion items. 

Targets
  • Watch a few episodes of Absolutely Fabulous and collect information to add to my character.
  • Visit shops like Jigsaw and write experience to find out how staff remembers act when being a posh shop than a normal shop.
  • Think about how I can relate this to my character and is Edwina Monsoon the right example for Liberty.  

Character update of Liberty
Edina's Jigsaw jacket from Absolutely Fabulous - idea 1 for Liberty

Pasty and Edwina (Edina's outfit on the right - young look - idea 2 for liberty) 
Edina Monsoon is the character that has ticked my boxes about her crazy fashion sense. The colourful jigsaw puzzle jacket is defiantly something I was thinking it may not look high class but, when it comes to fashion sense she is unique.  However, she did wear shoes that were uncomfortable, that idea 1 makes you think of a jacket that you could buy from either a charity shop or something a teenager was dared to get but, she shows that whatever the young people are into so is she.  Edina went with outfits that didn't go together at times but, it was the outfits that showed of her personality more than sometimes the way she sometimes acted like.

Costume list - first decision:
                                      Skirt                                        
                                   Tights                                      
                      Jacket (colourful)                       
Heels 
Top

                                  Change of thought - Different approach to costume idea

Diamond Aztec Tunic Dress from Select 

Orange Neon Aztec Cap Silver Bodycon Dress from Select

I have decided to get a colourful Aztec dress but, add a jacket which would be one of the colours on the dress e.g. first dress - pink colour jacket, second dress - orange.  Both choices for Liberty's dress are both Aztec dresses.  I think it will be a different to use something that people still love Aztec tops, trousers, skirts or dresses because I would use something get fashionable but, a good choice of wacky when add a jacket with a pair of shoes that may not work with it.  I have created an inspired look based on Edina Monsoon's fashion for Liberty.

Dialogue about Old Woman  (talking about herself) 

  • "I miss what went with him.  How it was, when we were together."
  • "Yes we had children, but I never see them.  Always got something better to do."
  • "Old people can predict the weather... you see?"

Dialogue said by other characters about Old Woman

  • "Was it. . . your husband?"
  • "Did you have children?"
  • "I'm looking I'm really looking for something goo, happening now, but you're saying things are only getting worse."

Old Woman's actions/behaviours:

  • Come to the heath to see husband's grave
  • Nostalgic - stuck in the past
  • She has a lot of spare time on her hands
  • Seems like most old ladies
  • In doubt or grief
Notes to self - Character - Old woman

Judi Dench's character from Philomena [4]
Judi Dench's character from Philomena was what I imagined and what most old people where with the bouffant style blouse which shows that she's sophisticated.   The trailer I've watched (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG3QP8foCvg) she dwells on the past about how she lost her son, it sounds like her son was taking from her.  So this relates to people about not seeing her children as they always have something better to do or in this case how much they worry.  The fact she also has some sad but, dark ways like where Philomena said "I did not abandon my child" that has given me the idea to say "Well I hope she can fight" as she is straight to the point even though she sounds like a sinister character.  Maybe the Old woman has also lost her children, that could be a way why she seems like she holds onto the past so much.  The character Philomena has showed me different ways to try the Old woman character.


Old Woman - Spring board moment 


The challenges to become and act as an old woman is to have the right tone of voice.  Using my natural voice and speak softly has made the character seem like she isn't old at all.  The voice and expression is something very key about this character.  It's been difficult to sound like a old woman as I keep losing the voice or it sounds like a creepy strangled voice.  My target is to find a solution to help with the voice.  Speaking softly helps but, I feel like she is missing something.

Since my character sounds like she's trying to persuade Freya how the past is much better than today and how unhappy the future with be.  I think that she's like Robert but, doesn't really believe that any good things will happen, that losing her husband won't change things and how she won't see her children.  Maybe her family are a dysfunctional family, they have been divided too. 

After several weeks of being this character, in my notes I got some notes, I need to think about the way the witch would sound and act like.  I have been working on the voice my witch impression is getting better and slowly making this old woman character more realistic.  Using this witch voice it helps with different pitches and tones of the voice to reveal the character in more detail.

Targets
  • To create an old woman physically. Don't just concentrate on the voice, concentrate on the our movements and body posture.
  • Don't close down
  • Show knowledge through the character

Costume


My version of the Old Woman's costume 
To the left you can see a picture which is my Old woman's outfit that I will be wearing in the performance.  I found a bouffant style blouse.  I feel like it shows how the way they are sophisticated they way they dress.  Also it may look old fashioned but, they feel comfortable and wear things that suit them.

Next the skirt is an unusual green colour but, it reminds me any flowy skirt any older woman would love to wear.  It's perfect.

I will wear some tan brogues which is the closest shoes I could use that I actually have.  I think it would suit well with this character. I also have a cream coat which looks fantastic and completes the look of this character.  Also look out for the small things in a costume that makes the look, it helps when you imagine it and you know exactly what you are looking for.



Dialogue about The Mother (talking about herself)

  • "Henry's very bright, he's already reading.  He'll go into hedge funds or a surgeon.  Something like that."
  • "We do what we can."

Dialogue said by other characters about The Mother

  • "Okay."
  • "Do you worry about the future?"
  • "How was the birth?"

The Mother's actions/behaviours:

  • Wheeling pram with her baby inside
  • Protective when Freya asks about child being a mistake.
  • Throwing babies.
  • Stage directions say "they stand, wielding the children almost like weapons."

Costume idea

Normal - Black Summer outfit
The idea is to wear a black pair of sunglasses, a black hat, black trousers and a black top.  The picture on the left was an idea of what I was thinking of as all the Mothers wear black.  I am still deciding whether we should have a long top or short top, maybe we could all have different similar length tops.  The Mother outfit just felt easy but, at the same time difficult because  it seemed plain and this character needed to be be plastic happy so, strange was a good thing.  However, the outfit makes them look normal.

The Mothers - Spring board moment 


The challenges to become a Mother was to try to find a way to seem creepy.  We started of with the idea of a Weeping Angel where if you blink they move, we would move forward 3 different times and have the lights turned on and off again.  It was a good effect since we wanted to act creepy towards Freya and the audience. The idea came about when we thought about this - http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/powerlisting/images/c/cb/Weeping_angel_gif.gif/revision/latest?cb=20140518000528.

We haven't used it yet but, I hope that we can use it to show odd the Mothers character can be.  They way they manipulative Freya and show her that not all mothers really do care about her child.  The Mothers make her feel like she may turn out like them or the way that she may want to abandon Emily, it makes us think about how would she raise a child and not become a mother like The Mothers's are showing what every mother must be like in Act 2.

Targets
  • Be plastic happy - fake 
  • Not so bothered about Freya
  • Show some height in my character

No comments:

Post a Comment